Humanity's defense against the Titans is a full-time, professional army trained to deal with the beasts. The military is divided into three divisions: the Scout Regiment, which explores outside human territory to hostile areas in a bid for expansion; the Garrison Regiment, which patrols and maintains the Walls, keeping Titans out and acting as the first to engage the Titans if the gate is destroyed; and the Military Police Regiment, the top-ranking soldiers who serve as the personal guards for the CIC and maintain order within the Walls.
The military is divided into three divisions, each led by their own leaders, but all subordinate to Cobalt Ryker, the Commander-in-Chief of all three.
The Scout Regiment
Ranked among the most elite soldiers, they are tasked with attempting to reclaim territory that has been lost to the Titans. Despite being the most well trained, they often come under dispute from those within the Walls and are constantly under threat of being disbanded since they suffer high losses, and usually fail to supply results. The current commander is Night Ackerman
The Garrison is responsible for patrolling and protecting the Walls. They are set to the task of evacuating citizens and dispatching Titans in the case of an emergency breach in the Walls. There is no current Commander.
The Military Police are in charge of keeping order inside the Walls and protecting the Queen. Due to their important function as guardians of the most important humans, only the top trainees from a graduating class are permitted to join them. Despite recruiting from only the best, they are shown to be corrupt and often incompetent due to the nature of their work inside the Walls, far away from Titans. The current commander is Tanner Zoe
All 3 branches of the Military have the same ranks and requirements for reaching each, these are the ranks of the military.
- Recruits are the "rookies" of the military, fresh out of the Trainee Corps, automatically assigned to the Primary Combat Squad (SC: Fourth Squad, SG: Cannoneer Squad, MP: Second Interior Squad), these Recruits are not yet full fledged members of their regiments, not until after their regiment training is complete
- Requirements: Complete the Trainee Corps
- Duties: Follow orders from superiors and complete training
- Squad Member
- People who get promoted to Squad Member gets to choose which squad they belong to, all except the Elite Combat Squads, if the squad has too many members already, then they may be told to look at another squad. These members are now "full-fledged members"
- Requirements: Complete Regimental Training
- Duties: Follow orders from superiors
- Squad Officer
- The Officers of each squad hold superior ranks towards all the other Squad Members, they are most commonly placed as one of the following; Team 2IC, Sub-Team Leader, Squad 2IC or a Sub-Squad Leader. Despite their senior authority, Squad Officers do not get Moderation or Administration powers in-game. The only time they get Moderation authority is when they were granted permission to host trainings for new Recruits. Approval from the Squad Captain or higher is required to host trainings.
- Requirements: Regularly following orders from higher ranks and being constantly active in most events
- Duties: Assisting the Squad Captain, Supervising the Recruits and Squad Members
- Team Leader
- When a squad gets a bit too big for 1 person to command an Officer will be promoted to Team Leader to command a portion of the squad. Team Leaders are not yet "High Ranks" and do not get Moderation or Administration powers in-game
- Requirements: None, selected by the Squad Captain
- Duties: Leading Teams of 5-10 Squad Members and 1-2 Officers
- Squad Captain
- Leaders of a squad. When you reach the rank of Squad Captain, you are officially a "High Rank" but despite that, you still only get Moderation authority instead of Administration since you are not an Administrator. There's 4 Squads in each regiment; Elite Combat, Regular Combat, Medical and Supply, as a Captain, you are in charge of one of the squads listed above.
- Requirements: None, selected by the Section Commander
- Duties: Leading a Squad
- Section Commander
- Commanders of a section. Each regiment has 2 sections with 2 squads in each, the Combat Section which houses the Elite and Regular Combat squads and the Support Section which houses the Medical and Supply squads. Each Regiment has 2 Section Commanders to command each section. Section Commanders also still only get Moderation authority.
- Requirements: None, selected by the Commander
- Duties: Leading a Section
- Commanders of a Regiment. The military as a whole has 3 Regiments, the SC, SG and MP, a Commander is selected for each to command the regiment including both sections, all squads and all teams. All Commanders get Administration Authority in-game
- Requirements: None, selected by the Commander in Chief
- Duties: Leading a Regiment
- Commander in Chief
- The Commander in Chief is the General of the 3 regiments, the head of the military. He or she commands the entire military and every Recruit, Soldier, Officer and Commander who calls it home. The CIC gets Administration Authority in-game
- Requirements: None, selected by the Royal Monarch
- Duties: Commanding the Army
Though the army is full time and has protected the Walls for over 100 years, it is largely corrupt. The Military Police are thought to be the worst, as they actively avoid fighting the Titans, preferably staying alive in the interior. They are also responsible for the lack of technological advancement and various other issues inside the Walls. Under them is the Garrison, thought to be lazy, irresponsible, and cowardly, though, after the breach in the Shiganshina District, their tactics and personnel have achieved amazing improvements. The Scout Regiment are the least corrupt of the three, fighting only for the sake of humanity and reclaiming the land lost to the Titans.
All members of the military, including the Cadet Corps instructors, wear similar uniforms consisting of a short, light brown jacket with the badge of the regiment on both shoulders, on the front left pocket and on the center of the back, a light-colored shirt, a dark brown sash around the waist covering the hips, white pants, and dark brown knee-high leather boots. The Scout Regiment members often wear a heavy, green, hip-length hooded cloak with the Wings of Freedom on the back, usually when conducting missions outside of human territory. Trainees have been observed to wear the cloaks, albeit without any symbols when conducting marches in the rain.
The main equipment of the military is the omni-directional mobility gear, which is also their main weapon used in conjunction with two snap-off blades attached to the hand grips. However, the Military Police often use muskets, since they mostly deal with people and rarely with Titans.
- Vanguard. These soldiers are stationed at the far end of the city, where the breach is. The Vanguard is comprised mostly of regular Garrison troops, and it is their duty to slow down the advance of the Titans if they ever manage to enter the city. Soldiers usually try to avoid direct combat with the Titans in order to increase survival rates. However, the Vanguard regiment does have a small detachment of troops whose job is to engage the Titans outside of the city, after said Titans have been maimed by a barrage of cannon fire. Most of the Garrison Vanguard was wiped out during the Battle of Trost.
- Middle guard. Located between the vanguard and the rear, the middle guard is tasked with the elimination of any Titans that may have slipped past the first lines of defense (see above). These soldiers usually consist of regular Scout Soldiers
- Rear guard. They are stationed in the deepest sector of the city, guarding the civilian evacuation through the city gate to the next level of the Walls. These soldiers are usually Scouts with exceptional skill, but are also Military Police soldiers if needed.
- Colossal Engagement Squad: These soldiers are the most elite of the elite. During the Colossal mission in "Attack on Titan [BETA]", the most elite soldiers of the Garrison and the Scout Regiment team up to take down the Colossal Titan.
- 1st Commander: Connor Roth (750-754)
- 2nd Commander: Beck Kaiser (754-760)
- 3rd Commander: Jackson Hayes (760-765)
- 4th Commander: Logan Foxworth (765-769)
- 5th Commander: Simon Kramer (769-774)
- 6th Commander: Angel Ziegler (774-780)
- 7th Commander: Elizabeth Davis (780-786)
- 8th Commander: Isabella Blackburn (786-794)
- 9th Commander: Yvonne Aubin (794-811)
- 10th Commander: Jhon Ackerman (811-823)
- 11th Commander: Donte Thomas (823-835)
- 12th Commander: Keith Shadis (835-845)
- 13th Commander: Erwin Smith (845-850)
- 14th Commander: Hange Zoe (850-867)
- 15th Commander: Levi Ackerman (867-872)
- 16th Commander: Mikasa Ackerman (872-880)
- 17th Commander: Karen Kirstein (880-884)
- 18th Commander: Night Ackerman (884-present)
- 1st Commander: Stefan Friedrich (745-747)
- 2nd Commander: Jack Fuchs (747-750)
- 3rd Commander: Unknown (750-757)
- 4th Commander: Unknown (757-765)
- 5th Commander: Unknown (765-770)
- 6th Commander: Unknown (770-780)
- 7th Commander: Unknown (780-793)
- 8th Commander: Unknown (793-800)
- 9th Commander: Unknown (800-812)
- 10th Commander: Unknown (812-838)
- 11th Commander: Dot Pyxis (838-868)
- 12th Commander: Kitz Weilman (868-888)
- 13th Commander: Nelothin Kirstein
- 1st Commander: Aaron Bur (745-750)
- 2nd Commander: Ashleigh Franz (750-753)
- 3rd Commander: Jan Schmidt (753-754)
- 4th Commander: Mary Johnson (754-760)
- 5th Commander: Richard Davis (760-765)
- 6th Commander: Harmony Davis (765-778)
- 7th Commander: Thomas Edwards (778-790)
- 8th Commander: Maxwell Whittney (790-798)
- 9th Commander: Mathew Graham (798-811)
- 10th Commander: Skyler Wells (811-820)
- 11th Commander: Micah Prince (820-846)
- 12th Commander: Nile Dok (846-859)
- 13th Commander: Hitch Dreyse (859-868)
- 14th Commander: Boris Fuelner (868-885)
- 15th Commander: Tanner Zoe (885-present)